Top 10 Natural Remedies for Acne + An Acne Fighting Juice Recipe
This is a post that I wrote a while back for Flip Magazine that I am revisiting because I needed a refresher on the subject. I am posting it here in case anyone else is in the same boat!
Top 10 Natural Remedies for Acne
By Melody Jones
Publication: Flip Magazine www.flipmagazine.net
Is your skin problematic and sensitive to all of the chemicals used in most acne products? Would you prefer not to clutter your bathroom sink with an array of costly skin care products? Do you ever wonder if there is something that can help heal your skin that doesn’t cost over a hundred dollars and come in a feminine pink bottle? Why not use more natural remedies so you don’t have to worry about the long-term effects of using harsh chemicals on your skin?
We are breaking down the “Top 10 Natural Remedies for Acne”. Most of these remedies may already be in your home, and if not, they are only a quick trip to the local health or grocery store away.
1. Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is a natural bacteria killer. It also relieves inflammation in the skin caused by acne breakouts. All you need to do is dilute it with 2 parts water and 1 part tea tree oil and dab it on your problem areas. You’ll see fast results as it gets to work very quickly.
*Tip: If you find that the oil is still too strong for your skin, add more water to your solution and dilute it even farther.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple Cider Vinegar does a wonderful job of balancing the PH levels of your skin, which creates an alkaline environment where bacteria are unable to survive. Use it the same way you would use an astringent or a toner by dabbing it on with a cotton ball.
*Tip: I recommend diluting it with water as it can have a strong smell. Use it as a night treatment just before bed so you won’t go out into the world smelling like a bag of onions. If you and your bedmate can get over the smell, you will see dramatic results in your skin that are very worth it!
3. Cucumbers – Whether you eat them or juice them, cucumbers are a wonderful way to support your skin’s will to glow! Cucumbers contain silica, which increases skins elasticity and moisture. Add them into your salads, or run them through your juicer for a wonderful treat for your skin.
4. Raw Honey and Cinnamon – Both of these ingredients are natural bacteria killers and have a profound effect as an acne treatment when used together. Mix these 2 ingredients together and apply to your face as you would a facemask. The honey provides moisture rather than oil, which is difficult to find in anything over the counter. The cinnamon will help to balance the skin and even out your tone.
5. Egg Whites –Crack a few eggs and remove the yolks. Egg whites help to rebuild skin cells and fade marks and blemishes. Stir 2 egg whites together and apply to your face as a mask. Once it dries, rinse it off and voila!
6. Turmeric Powder – This spice is used in a lot of Indian dishes, however when applied to the skin in its raw form, it is one of the most bacteria fighting and anti-inflammatory supplements you can find. Reduce redness from rosacea and clear up blemishes with this amazing root powder. Mix with water to create a paste and spread it on the skin. Leave the mask you’ve created on for 15 to 20 minutes before washing off.
7. Aloe Vera – You can buy it as a gel or if you are lucky enough to have an aloe vera plant, you can get it fresh from the leaf! Aloe soothes and tightens the skin and can provide a natural face-lift when used as a mask. It is also antibacterial so it not only stops outbreaks; it prevents them from happening again in the future.
8. Potatoes – Potatoes are packed with potassium and sulfur, which help to reduce acne and blemishes. They also support the growth of new skin cells. All you need to do it cut a potato in half and rub it in circular motions over your face for about 2 minutes. Let the potato juice dry and then rinse your face thoroughly.
9. Lemon Juice- Lemons are natural detoxifiers and also help to brighten your complexion! You can dilute lemon juice in water and use it as an astringent or squeeze the juice in hot water and drink it.
*Tip: A lot of times we neglect our insides and apply a bunch of things on top of our skin when the real issue is within. Cleanse your body by drinking warm lemon water each morning and watch the effects it has on preventing future breakouts.
10. Beets – Beets are a natural detoxifier of the liver. In a lot of cases, especially for women, acne is simply hormonal. With hormonal acne, there really isn’t anything you can put on your skin to reduce it, because your liver is responsible for your hormone balance. You have to cleanse your liver and beets are one of the most effective and easiest ways to do that. Juice them, or throw them in a salad! When your liver is functioning the way it should your skin will automatically clear up and glow the way you know it should!
One final piece of advice:
Don’t forget to leave your face alone! Stop popping your pimples and squeezing the blackheads and just LEAVE YOUR FACE ALONE! By touching your face, you are just adding to the bacteria count. Also, when you burst a pimple, the remnants hit other parts of your face causing bacteria to grow in different places. Soon you will have more pimples than you can count! It’s ok to just leave it alone for a while. Trust your body, it is highly intelligent and constantly healing itself.
I hope you enjoyed this article and have a new outlook of ways to clear up your skin. I bet you had no idea how many things you have in your kitchen that support healthy skin! Remember, don’t try to use all 10 remedies at once; pick a couple and have fun with it!
BONUS Acne Fighting Juice Recipe!
4 Kale Leaves